Thinking of a Teaching Career?
Find yourself at the Head of the Class through the
Virginia Career Switcher
Alternative Route to Licensure Program
Change your future and help shape a child's life . . .
The Career Switcher Alternative Route to Licensure Program is designed to entice individuals from various occupational and life experiences to become classroom teachers, thereby increasing the quantity and diversity of applicants to the profession.
Individuals interested in enrolling in a Career Switcher Program must apply for admission directly to a certified program provider. Applicants must make certain that they have met the prerequisites stated below and have submitted their applications directly to a certified program provider.
Applicants must possess:
1. Bachelor's Degree From A Regionally Accredited Institution.
2. Five-Years Minimum Full Time Work Experience.
3. Passing Scores on the following Pre-Assessment Tests:
- PRAXIS IORVCLA*(Satisfying SATs OR ACTs scores may be used to substitute Praxis I)
- PRAXIS II Subject Assessment Test.
- VRA (for Elementary Education Only).
- ACTFL (for Foreign Language Only).
4. Content Area Sufficiencies Or The Equivalent Through Coursework, Tests Or Verifiable Experience
*NOTE: VCLA will replace Praxis I as of January 1st 2007.
Partially taken from the Virginia Department of Education Website: http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/newvdoe/CareerSwitcher/programdescription.html